This morning I rode one of our buses to school. The kids, and families, were completely surprised…in a good way!
I volunteered to ride to support the driver in implementing positive behavioral supports, but I walked away with one of the simplest strategies for connecting with kids! With thirty minutes set aside this morning I was able to:
- see neighborhoods that I wasn’t really aware of
- experience how our students start their day
- connect with kids and families in a social, relaxed way
- help support our amazing bus driver in implementing positive behavioral supports for students
- change up my routine a bit (this is starting to be the theme of my week)
- talk to students I don’t normally get a chance to connect with without interruption
- carry over expectations from bus to school and school to bus
- and much more that hasn’t hit me yet!
This was definitely one of those “little things” that is a very important thing. I’m going to try to hit the road once a week for a couple of weeks and believe this strategy should be put into everyone’s tool box!